Saturday, February 4, 2012

Linen Stitch

I love to shop at new yarn stores when I am away from home. It's fun to explore merchandise that my local yarn shop doesn't carry and to discover what is hot in other parts of the country. Tuesday I strolled through The Village Yarn Shop in Zionsville, Indiana abd bought some gorgeous Cascade 220 Paint in a shade of blue/lavendar/green variegated. When I went to check out I saw a charming scarf made entirely out of Linen Stitch. Had to have it and bought that too.

The pattern is a Churchmouse Classic that is published on Bainbridge Island in Washington state. It is worked on US 6s with Koigu KPPPM and knit lengthwise. In other words you cast on well over 400 stitches. The shop had made up kits with 3 different yarns (2 solids & 1 variegated),  I swooped it all up and took it home to jump right in.

I don't know if you are this way, but I seem to need to work a new pattern for awhile before I really understand it. After knitting through the 1st six rows, I discovered that the pattern was off, and I had to rip it back almost to the d it be. This wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. It's mostly K1, sl 1 throughout so hard could it be.
"
The answer to that is "As hard as you make it." I am mostly a Continental knitter, which means that I have a greater tendency of dropping stitches than a knitter who works  in the English style. Therefore, when ever the pattern gets off, I have to frog back until I find the dropped stitch.
With two colors of yarn that is somewhat easier, because every other stitch is a different color. When the blue-pink-blue-pink-blue-pink yarn alternations change, it's time to check back and make sure that everything is ok. Also, you might notice in the picture below that the stitches on the needle tend to sit in pairs. The first of the pair is always and worked stitch and the 2nd is always a slipped stitch.

The final scarf will look something like this. It's been fun to work, but it wasn't as easy and fast as I thought it would be.

Happy Knitting Everyone!
                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment