Friday, February 3, 2012

Sugar, Susan G. Komen Foundation, & Stitches, Oh My!

What are we to do? The news is so divisive that I hardly know where to begin. Let's start with sugar. People have been cooking with sugar for centuries. It is what makes bread rise - the interaction between the yeast and sugar that is - it is a staple of every baking recipe, it sweetens my coffee in the morning (or a sugar substitute does), and now the government is being encouraged to do something about the sugar in our diet. Never mind that people have been using it since ancient times; our government now knows best. Soon it will be right up there with alcohol and cigarettes. I guess you can see where I come down on this argument.

The next conundrum is the Susan G. Komen Foundation's decision to pull their support of Planned Parenthood. This is interesting because the reaction to their decision is so unpredictable. The NY Times reports that affiliates within the Komen Foundation are very upset about this and NY Mayor Bloomberg is urging Komen to change its mind. A Methodist Minister on Facebook was also arguing for the Planned Parenthood group, which surprised me. Yes - breast cancer has little to do with abortion and family planning, so my question is, "Why was Komen giving money ro Planned Parent anyway?" THIS JUST IN: Susan G. Komen has reversed its original decision. Go figure. Guess they couldn't take the heat.

Stitches are much less controversial - another reason to knit.  I fly home in another 2 days, so I was thinking about what to knit on the plane. It matters because of the way I have to pack, so I decided to start the Stitch Sampler Shawl pattern that I bought at the Village Yarn Shop here in Zionsville. I only have to fit the pattern and 1 ball of yarn into my purse. It should be a pretty quick knit, as it is worked on US10s. Can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment