Tonight is guild night, and I have been tardy about dealing with guild business all month. So.....today is guild day. There are agendas to prepare, a book to find for the program part of the meeting, and decisions about what to wear. I know – that seems frivolous, but with one hand in a large bandage, my choices of tops are pretty limited.
Erlbacher front, things have improved. The success of knitting on a circular sock machine is finding the correct balance between tension and stitch size. That is the lesson I learned in the last 2 days. I was finally able to make a Cast on sack with a mock rib and avoid any dropped stitches. The fruit of my labors is on the right. I did this on a 60-cylinder. Interestingly, when I switched to a 72 cylinder I started dropping stitches again. Since I am pretty bad with a latch hook, the tool you need to use to retrieve dropped stitches, I have to solve the problem all over again on the 72. Luckily I have the time to do all of this. I am waiting for a shipment of sock yarn and a book about working with CSMs. When they arrive I will give a report.
I think the computer updating is finally over. Last night I downloaded the 2012 Finale software - took over 2 hours. Those of you getting to know me within the past couple of years may not be aware that I was a classical musician for over 45 years, and during that time owned my own desktop music publishing company. I mostly wrote arrangements/transcriptions of the classical repertoire for flute choir. When I started working for Flute Talk , I sold my company (Music Makers) to ALRY , which continues publish well over 40 of my works.
I'm retired now, and I have plenty of time to return to the flute choir arrangement arena. It's something I enjoy, and I think I'm pretty good at it. When I look at a score, I can hear it in my head - which is something not everyone can do. My old Finale (2004) would not run on the Lion OS, so I spent the money and ordered the update. I think I'm still ahead on the deal. It was either buy a new computer or upgrade this one. Upgrading has proved to be less expensive, although if I counted the amount of time it took to do it I would probably make about 10 cents an hour. So it goes. More tomorrow. Happy knitting everyone!