The Erl, I call her Penelope, and I did battle once again today. I started a toe-up sock, and am now at the point that I will probably take it out of the machine, rip it back, and start over, although I must say that I learned a lot in the process. I understand more about the importance of enough weight on the stitches and of the position of the yarn carrier. I think the videos make it all look so easy that a false sense of security sets in. Then I proceed without looking at my notes, and before you know it, I'm in trouble again.
I did manage to make a mock rib hem to a cast on sock without a mistake, and that is my first project without error. Sometimes you just have to be grateful for the small things.