Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Red Cabled Bag

I thought you might like to see the Cabled Bag in progress. As you can see the fabric is very dense. The Stitch pattern is Cat's Eye, an overall pattern from Barbara Walker's first stitch patterns book. The cable is an 8-stitch cable (4 back, 4), which is why it is so dense and rather hard on the hands.

Ultimately it will be a knitting project bag, about 16" high. At this time it is about 6 1/2 " high. Notice that the bottom edge really wants to curl, but I think that will settle out when I pick up for the base. I am designing it as I go. The top edge will conclude at the appropriate length and after a "cross" round. I have awesome lining fabric for it and will also use plastic canvas sheets for stiffening on the sides. I plan to have a special piece of hard plastic cut for the bottom.

Here is a close up of the stitch pattern, which is a 12 - row repeat. Cables cross right on row 6 and left on row 12. I am a Continental knitter, but on the cross rows and the the following rows I throw the yarn. It is easier on my hands, and I can work at the very points that way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My mission...which I chose to accept...was to continue to visit as many A to Z Challenge participants as I could even after the challenge is over because I didn't want to miss out on any great bloggers out there! Lovely blog...good luck with the rest of the year and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete