Thursday, May 3, 2012

Stormy Weather - There's a Song in There Somewhere

We have had quite a morning here in Green Bay today - the thunder and lightening have been pretty constant since after midnight. At one point it got so dark it looked like night time rather than 10:00 a.m., which is what time it really was. I even shut the computer down for a while.

Then there was a little break with no rain, at which time I scurried around, looking for my shoes, so I could go out and harvest some rhubarb before the next storm rolled in. As you can see, I made it. I think there is a rhubarb pie in our future tonight.

It always makes me think of Dad, because it was his favorite pie too. At this time of year, I would always make 2 of them at a time – one for Dad and one for us. There is a Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe in the old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, and that is the recipe that Mom always used. Me too, still today, but over the years I have amended it a bit for more fruit in the pie. Of course, if you are going to add more rhubarb, you have to add more sugar, 'cause rhubarb is pretty tart. Anyway, DH loves it, so there will be dessert after supper tonight.

While waiting for the storms to abate I craned out a pair of socks using the ribber. I think I finally have that contraption down, and am beginning to understand the difference between the various sized cylinders. At any rate, my goal is to have 45-50 pairs of socks ready for my sister's Art Fair in October.

I also want to start taking orders for socks from customers on the internet, but that seems to require a logo, price tags, business cards, etc. Way too much work for a rainy spring day.

2 comments:

  1. Never had rhubarb--looks too much like celery and so I assume it must taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberlee - not so! Think amazing sweet-tart candy in the form of a sweet pie. Yum!

    Great post! ~ Kate

    http://attendanceplease.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/speaking-of-grape-vines-hows-bout-those-pickers/

    ReplyDelete