Monday, June 4, 2012

It Has Been A While

Yes it has...been a while since I last posted. My excuse (all conscientious ladies have excuses at the ready) is that I have no pictures to go with the post. Pictures were always a bone of contention when I was the editor at Flute Talk as well. Oh well, suffice it to say that the past weekend was spent outside doing yard work, and if I ever get my act together, I will post some pictures.

We spread about 50 bags of cedar mulch, weeded, pruned shrubs and roses, power washed the deck (Now it needs a coat of stain. It never ends!), and began taking out about 8 40-year-old Mugo pines that are completely overgrown and mostly dead in the center. AJ got out the chain saw, and I pulled the sawed branches out of the quagmire, and together we hauled them to the curb. At some point the village will come by and pick up the pile, which is about 20 yards long. We finished 4 Mugos - 4 to go.

The good news for the Mugos is that we have to go to Illinois this weekend. I am excited to be attending the Gebhard Woods Dulcimer Festival in Morris, IL. It is a 2-day event with lots of artists, non-stop performances, and workshops. Saturday night features an old-time music dance and it should be gallons of fun. AJ is going too, and we are bringing Jessie, our Springadore (half Springer Spaniel, half black Labradore). AJ has a sister with a summer place nearby, so he can go visit her while I soak up the dulcimer music. Fun, yes?

Since I last wrote I have also developed a passion for sourdough cooking. I've managed to start and maintain a starter and baked a couple of pretty decent loaves of sourdough bread. There is something about cooking from scratch, and I mean REALLY cooking from scratch, that touches my pioneer spirit. I grew up in Oregon after all. We know how to do that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment