Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It Is Finished!

That is the English title of a rather famous Bach cantata, Es ist Genug in German, the quote based upon the last words of Christ I believe. I happen to feel the same way about this Basket Cable Bag, which you see to the left. I designed it for Monterey Yarn, a local knit shop in Green Bay where I teach, and we will be offering classes in making the bag in the Fall.

I started the project before my hand surgeries, and of course could do nothing with it for about 2 months. Then, as I began to heal, I could knit, but not on this bag, because my hands had lost a good bit of their strength.

The Basket Cable stitch is an 8-stitch cable (4 sts over 4 sts) so it takes a big of hand strength to make it work. When I was finally able to work on the bag again, I could only do a round or two, and then I would have to put it away for another day. Happily, my hand strength is back, and I credit this bag for for that fact. I think it was good physical therapy.

It is lined with plastic canvas panels, plexiglass on the bottom and then fabric over all of that. The lining of the bag was more of an ordeal than the knitting of it. Interestingly, it was knit from the top down. Actually, I didn't know that was what I was doing until the top edge began to curl a bit, and then a customer at the store suggested that would make an excellent top edge. She was totally correct, and that is what I did. Hope you all like it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a complex pattern. Love the color and the lining fabric. I can't believe you made this up. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete