Thursday, June 26, 2014

It Was a Sign!

Well, at least that's how I am interpreting it. There I was - at the laundromat - washing the quilt from our bed. You see, Jessie, our dog/child (I know, that's a discussion for another time.) sleeps with us, and our quilt gets pretty dirty. So every so often I take it to a local laundromat and take us back to square one. The news was blaring away on the TV in the laundromat, and just as I am packing up to go home and advertisement for Blaser's Acres comes on the screen. The laundromat is located north of my house a couple of miles, and Blaser's Acres is about 5 miles north of that. It was a sign.

If you live outside of NE Wisconsin you probably don't know that Blaser's Acres is the place to go for strawberries - U-Pick and picked for you. Last year I put up two flats of berries from there - all into freezer strawberry jam. So as I left the laundromat I put Blaser's Acres into the map app on my phone and headed north instead of south. Of course, freezer jam requires plenty of sugar and several boxes of pectin, so on the way home from the strawberry field I stopped at Festival Foods and picked up a few things. Just imagine. When AJ left home this morning I didn't know what I was going to do with the day. Now - the whole day is planned for me.

On the knitting front I had a revelation this past week that I thought I would share. A month ago I purchased some wool from a Door County sheep breeder. I purchased it in 3 natural colors: dark brown, very light brown, and while or off-white. I cast on for a cardigan, and soon realized that I would not have enough yarn to complete the object as designed. The photo to the left shows a 2 x 2 ribbing followed by a Quilted Lattice pattern I found in one of Barbara Walker's stitch collections.

The white yarn is what I was short on. Going into my stash I discovered that I had bought similar
yarn from the same breeder a few years ago, although the names of the sheep differed. The slight difference in color would show if the yarns were worked next to each other, but probably be completely disguised if I could put something between the whites so that they never meet. This was my solution.

I don't know that I have ever seen Fair Isle worked in quit this way before, but I think this works. It's going to look quite elegant I think.

Just so you don't forget the Double Knitting adventure, I will close this post with a picture of my progress thus far.
       

1 comment:

  1. You had me at "strawberries."

    Love the wool colors together. That little band of Fair Isle adds the perfect touch of elegance. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete