Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Weekend Update

I had an awesome weekend and just wanted to share. I drove down to Morris, IL on Friday to the Gebhard Woods Dulcimer Festival. They hold it every year, and this was the 2nd time of my attending. I went two years ago, and AJ and Jessie came along. This time, I drove down by myself and had a good time doing it. While the festival is usually held at  Gebhard Woods State Park, there was considerable flooding there last year and they wanted to give the grounds another year to recover, so the festival was held in town at Goold Park which was just as nice.

The temperatures hovered around 84 degrees both days, although Sunday was a bit cooler. What does one do at a dulcimer festival, you might ask? Well, I'm going to tell you. There were workshops with noted placers/performers every hour on the hour, and performances on the main stage. Vendors were there to sell their wares, which included dulcimers, mountain dulcimers, accessories, CDs, T shirts, music, tuners, etc. You get the pictures. Oh, you want a picture? Here you go. The tent in back is the Stage Tent, and the one in the foreground was where the raffle items were displayed.

This young man's name is Max ZT and he is originally from Chicago. He has taken the hammered dulcimer and mixed it with contemporary Rock and Jazz; he's quite amazing. I took one of his workshops and learned a lot about harmony and arpeggios, how to apply them to the dulcimer, and how they can enhance one's hammer speed. He started a band call House of Waters, that is based in New York. Follow the link to hear a bit of what they do. The band performed on Sunday, and it was awesome.

Saturday night there was an Old Country Dance in a Catholic
church education building across town, and that was fun too. They had a caller, and the Bill Robertson band played for it. They also performed on the Main Stage on Sunday. Robinson  has designed some special hammers and I just had to buy a pair.

After the festival wound down Sunday evening, I got some dinner and planned to spend the night in Morris and drive home on Monday, but I fell asleep after dinner, waking about 10 pm. I thought, why not drive around Chicago during the night time. Far better than fighting rush hour Monday morning, so I hit the road - got home about 3 am. Boy was I rocky all day Monday. Sort of felt like I'd been hit by a truck, but no - I did it to myself. I must say, though, I've never seen such light traffic in Chicago before.

1 comment:

  1. Anything's better than Monday morning rush hour in good old Chicago. Glad you had fun and learned lots.

    ReplyDelete