Thursday, September 18, 2014

Repurposed Items!

I had an adventure this morning. After finishing a triangular shawl that I have been working on for some time, I realized I didn't have any blocking wires. I don't want the blocked item to be "peaked" so wires are essential. I did a Google search and this is what came up: http://imgur.com/a/CUICA.

A couple more searches told me where I needed to go to buy the supplies, so I hoped in the car and bought. The stainless steel wires are considerably more expensive than the above cited article states, but the Plasti-Dip was still $7.

When I got home I layed out some waxed paper to protect the counter top and began dipping one end of each wire into the Plasti-Dip. I wasn't happy, however, with the flat side resulting from the dipped wire laying on the flat surface. First I tried rolling the waxed paper so I could lay the wires on a slant over the ridge created by the paper roll. This, too, was not successful, because with the addition of more wires, the paper began to collapse toward the counter top. Then it came to me to use rolled up aluminum foil to support the wires, and the rest is in the pictures.

It takes about 30 minutes for the Plasti Dip to dry completely, and I will dip the opposite ends of the wires this afternoon. By that time I should have all the shawl ends woven in and ready to block.

I love finding a new use for something that is usually used in another way. This morning I was able to do that. Made my day. You have a good one too!



No comments:

Post a Comment